The clinics are being manned by graduates of Bikeworks’ Cycle into Work scheme (Barclays)
Free roadside â€˜Bike Clinicsâ€™
are being offered to London
commuters on Monday 2 July thanks to Barclays and social enterprise Bikeworks.
The bike safety checks,
which will promote maintenance and teach cyclists basic skills, will be held at
four locations in the city in both the morning and evening rush hours.
Research by Barclays,
sponsors of the capitalâ€™s bike hire scheme and cycle superhighways, shows that
a third of London
cyclists fail to keep their bikes roadworthy because they either find it too
expensive, time consuming or just lack the necessary skills.
clinics will be manned by graduates of the Cycle into Work scheme, which helped
give disadvantaged Londoners the skills to work in the cycling industry. The scheme was conceived last year by Bikeworks who, since 2008, have been using bikes and cycling as a tool to tackle social and environmental issues in their community.
Should you not be able to
make it, Barclays have teamed up with Evans Cycles to offer a 15 percent
discount off bike checks and 10 percent off components throughout July. Visit
the Barclays Bikes Facebook page for more details.
Bike Clinic time and locations
- 7.30am-10am:Â Whitechapel Road junction with New Road
- 4.30pm-7pm : Cable Street and Cannon StreetÂ
- 7.30am-10am: Chelsea Bridge
- North Side
- 4.30pm-7pm :Â Chelsea Bridge
- South Side
- 7.30am-10am: Kennington Park Road junction with Brixton RoadÂ Â
- 4.30pm-7pm: Kennington Park Road junction with Brixton RoadÂ
- 7.30am-10am:Â Eel Brook Common
- 4.30pm-7pm:Â Eel Brook Common